Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
Roasted Beets, Fennel, and Carrots with Blackberry Vinaigrette
Tyler Williams, chef at Woodfire Grill, showed how to make this recipe at Morningside Famers Market on June 1.
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
5 baby beets, trimmed
5 baby carrots, trimmed, washed, and scrubbed (not peeled)
2 small bulbs fennel, trimmed, and quartered
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup Anson Mills farro
1/4 packed purple basil leaves
Blackberry Vinaigrette, recipe below
1 cup local Greek-style plain yogurt
1/2 cup blackberries
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour olive oil in a medium mixing bowl. Toss beets in oil, then remove with a slotted spoon and place in a small baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss the carrots in the oil, then place in a separate dish, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat process with the fennel and shallots. Roast vegetables until each is tender and caramelized but not mushy.
2. Peel beets and cut in half. Peel shallots and chop. Mix beets, shallots, carrots, and quartered fennel in a mixing bowl.
3. While the vegetables roast, in a large saucepan bring 1 quart salted water to boil on the stove. Add the farro, return water to a boil, and cook until farro is tender. Drain and cool, then add to the vegetables. Add basil.
4. Make the Blackberry Vinaigrette: Mix all ingredients together, and roughly smash berries with a fork.
5. Finish the recipe: Drizzle with Blackberry Vinaigrette, and gently toss. Divide among four bowls. Top each serving with Greek-style yogurt.